Muesli is one of the best healthy Breakfast ideas ever! As you maybe read in one of my previous posts about „Dietary Change for a better wellbeing“. I publsihed the tip to make your own muesli to avoid unhealthy additives. I’m sure not everybody loves to spend a lot of time in the kitchen especially in the morning. As a result of this I like to inform more about muesli and granola as a simply, fast and healthy breakfast version.
A few years ago I started to buy my ready muesli in the supermarket. I don’t know that is wasn’t that healthy I thought. All the hidden unhealthy additives like industrial sugar or sweetened dried fruits wasn’t clearly evident for me. Especially sugar is used in thousands of supposed healthy products you can’t clearly realize by reading the ingredients. There are some titles you can recognize sugar. For example glucose or sucrose. If you like to learn more read this article: Refined Sugar – The Sweetest poison of All…
Muesli is definitely a perfect base to have a healthy breakfast. As I can see in my food community muesli is used really often as a base. Mixed up with everything you like it’s totally flexible. Muesli makes full for longer because of the cereals and roughage.
I prefer walnuts and sunflower seeds in my muesli while my husband loves coconut chips and apple. He use the 3,8% organic dairy milk and I use plant based milk like hemp milk or my self-made walnut milk. I only use natural sweetener for my muesli like dates, apples, bananas or sometimes honey. The best is to top your muesli with a good and crunchy granola like my Coconut Granola with dried flowers
Granola – What is that?
Granola is a little bit different to muesli because it is baked until the ingredients form crunchy clusters. Granola contains dried fruits, healthy oils and liquid sweetener. It is only used for topping mueslis or smoothies. It is really difficult to find high quality granola in the store. I only found this one which is really good. Sure it is a bit expensive but high qualified as well: Lizis Granola.
Beside my Coconut Granola I love this Crispy Granola version from my friend Heike @tastyasheck. As agreed with Heike I’m so happy to publish it here on my Blog. Heike is one of my absolutely favorite inspirations. She takes care of a fair food use and her Food Photography is always colorful and makes me smiling. You can see more from her work here: Heike @tastyasheck
Thank you so much Heike for this stunning recipe!
CRISPY GRANOLA from Heike @tastyasheck
1 cup quinoaflakes
1 cup glutenfree oats
1 cup buckwheat (sprouted if you like)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup pumpkinseeds
2 ripe bananas
1 tsp vanilla powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup coconut oil @royalgreen2008
2 tbsp nutbutter or coconutbutter or tahini
3/4 cup coconut flakes
dried berries like green raisins, mulberries, gojiberries or cacao nibs
- Preheat the oven on 170°C/335°F
- Line a baking tray with 2 baking sheet, overlapping the tray on every side.
- Mash the bananas until soft
- Add the melted oil, vanilla powder plus the melted butter (melt over a water bath) and mix well
- In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients except coconut chips and dried fruits
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and incorporate with a spatula
- Press evenly on the baking tray
- After 10 min. remove from the oven and flip over
- Place back in the oven for another 10min
- Repeat as before and place back for 5 -10 min depending you oven, before it starts to smell fragrant
- Remove and add the coconut chips and toast for another 5min
- Remove and let cool down completely
- optional: add 1/2 cup of dried berries/cacao nibs and store in a airtight container for up 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 2 months (no need to defrost before…)
Here you find my personal tips for making a good muesli:
• 1/3 Cereals and Nuts
• 1/3 fresh fruits
• 1/3 Yoghurt, Dairy Milk or plant-based Milk
• Dried fruits like dates as a natural sweetener
• Crunchy ingredients like Granola
• Soft ingredients like fruits
• Use a happy and nice bowl you like to serve
• Cut the fruits in bite-size
• Try out and write down your favorite combination
• Mix your muesli in advance to reduce stress
Have Fun and enjoy!